View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 07:22 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles hat View Post
That area near Barclays is very safe. It is not considered a dumpy area with thugs hanging out. They really did a nice job with the surrounding area with nice stores, good lighting and the area is police patroled. I see no issues upcoming.
Sorry, but this is just kind of funny. Sometimes I wonder if people realize that 'thugs' can drive and take public transportation, too. And just who is the 'they' who 'did a nice job'? Are 'they' the realtors that renamed portions of Crown Heights and Bed Stuy 'Prospect Heights' and starting gentrifying it 10 years ago? The crazy-a** bike activists who still flavor the area? The minority owned-businesses that have been there for 50 years? The cultural center that is way more pleasurable to attend than Lincoln Center? All of the Europeans who have flooded into the area? (Sometimes you're as likely to hear French as English in Prospect Heights). Yeah, they've done a nice job. Barclay's is there because of them, not the other way around.

Anyone who wants to get a good idea about flavor should go a First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum. Admission is free, parking is $5. Beer and wine are 5 or 6 bucks. It is impossible to get better entertainment value from the music, to the art, and the people watching. You get everything from hipsters, ultra-orthodox Jews on hiatus (sometimes hard to tell apart the hipsters and hasids), Rastas (it goes without saying) and Eurotrash doing what appears to be the lambada to techno.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/visit/first_saturdays.php

BTW, I don't recommend shopping at the terminal stores (particularly not Marshalls or Target). They are horribly picked over.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote