View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 08:16 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This idea (two expansion cities in Canada, one in Quebec City and a second in the Toronto area) is the biggest no-brainer this league has seen in some time. Quite frankly, I'm surprised the deals haven't been announced.

I don't see a downside...

- more jobs for the NHLPA

- with the way young hockey players are developing these days, the league won't get watered down like in the past. Nowadays, 18-year-old and 19-year-old players increase the pool of available talent. And the 40-year-old players are in better shape, too.

- expanding to Canada lessens the urgency of these two new franchises to be good right away. The two new organizations can build from scratch without the need of a 'big splash'.

- instant, natural rivalries with Montreal and Toronto, plus the possibility of several more.

- if other NHL teams continue to have problems, and relocation is required, Seattle is still out there as a possibility.

- 32 teams could be easier to rearrange in terms of realignment, either with four divisions of 8 or maybe even eight divisions of four.

- more money in the kitty for the league.

- expansion draft. Could be exciting. It draws attention.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting several other points. I really hope this happens soon. I'm giddy about the idea of seeing the Quebec Nordiques back in the big league.
If I do remember right, Nordiques/Bruins games were also quite a show. Another instant rivalry from both sides.

QcBlizzard is offline   Reply With Quote