Thread: Value of: Ryan O'Reilly
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 09:18 AM
avsfan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
O'Reilly didn't have Phil Kessel as a linemate, no.. but that comes with as much pressure and difficulty as it is a benefit. When teams played the Leafs last year, they knew that the defensive play was downright terrible. The way you were going to beat Toronto was to shut down Lupul/Bozak/Kessel, as a result, Bozak would've faced much tougher defensive assignments. When teams played Colorado, they knew that they were a low-powered offensive team (about as bad as the Leafs were defensively), nobody gameplanned to shut down Ryan O'Reilly.

As for the age gap, it's definitely there, but likely not as important as one would think when you consider that Bozak is a substantially later bloomer, who actually has less experience than O'Reilly. The other component of the age gap of course, is UFA/RFA status, but I'm fairly confident in Bozak's willingness to sign in Toronto.

Do you honestly believe that if the Leafs trade Bozak straight up for O'Reilly, that they become a better team? I don't. These guys had very similar years last year, while Bozak has the edge in career PPG. He's got proven chemistry with Kessel. Even if O'Reilly is the better player, he's certainly not better to a large enough degree to justify breaking those 2 up.

If the Leafs were to trade for O'Reilly, it's to become the 3rd centre along with Bozak & Grabo. This would of course give the Leafs the flexibility to get Grabo into more of a scoring role, and perhaps fit better with what Randy Carlyle is trying to do as he'd have 2 lines that can be used in a shutdown role. However, I doubt that he's going to be worth fair market value to us, when we already have Grabovski, and to a lesser extent, Jay McClement.
Is this real life?

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote