View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 10:10 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i doubt that very much. a suburban arena would have a very dramatic impact on the ACC's monopoly on big ticket events/tours. the ACC is now 14 years old and is no longer a state of the art arena. mlse is not worried about hockey ticket sales, they are (still) worried about a competing venue. the markham motoroladome is their worst nightmare, hence the likely demand for a massive indemnification fee, as well as complete broadcast rights for any new nhl team that might eventually find itself north of the 401.

i can easily see the big tour promoters choosing the markham motoroladome over the acc, if only for it being an easier in-out. acc ain't that special anymore.
While this might be true for some family shows, I think most concerts etc. are averse to suburban arenas because they don't like liabilities for drunk driving etc. Look at how quickly Prudential Center muscled Izod out of dominance, same with Barclays and Nassau Coliseum. Urban arenas are considered "hipper", more lucrative, and most importantly, accessible to mass transit so your drunk fans won't be driving home, killing a few people in the process.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote