Thread: Confirmed with Link: Lehner Back Down to Bingo
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Peter The Great

vCash: 500
I like the story of Robin and his father Michael so much! :-)
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../15472076.html

Puck machine:
"Robin remembers his dad getting rid of the lawn in the backyard and replacing it with concrete. A net went up, a shooting machine was purchased.

At 12, Robin wanted pucks fired as hard as he could get them. Michael bought him an adult catching mitt, with extra padding, and cranked the machine up to 100 mph."

“He always wanted to go hard. He likes to work out hard,” Michael says. “But we had some problems. In Sweden, we have this government thing, if you mistreat your kids the neighbours will call and they can come and visit you, see what’s going on. So the neighbour called and said that I’m an abusive father, because I shoot the puck machine and he’s just crying all the time.

About his father being inspired by Mike Keenan
"Keenan was very tough ... and I was the Keenan on Robin when he was young. So that’s nothing new to him, if he comes over and has a very tough coach. I’ve been very tough on him."

Using Henrik Lundqvist and Kristian Huselius as inspiration (two former adepts of his father):
"From the beginning, I showed him the life Kristian had, and the life Henrik had,” Michael Lehner says, “and I asked him: ‘What do you want to do?’ He said, ‘I want to do this.” I said OK, then I’ll push you. When you want to quit, you tell me, but I’m going to be very, very hard on you. He didn’t say anything. He just kept going. And I was tougher and tougher and tougher."

21 is offline   Reply With Quote