View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 10:53 AM
13th Floor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Great win! But this team is 1-4-1 without Nabokov and Grabner.

- The amazing thing was that Grabner managed to score *despite* the Penguins playing super conservatively whenever he was out on the ice. Just one mistake and BAM.

- Nabokov played quietly and efficiently all game. Really unspectacular and smooth. He's the opposite of DiPietro. No wonder he can play 70 games, he barely seems to move out there.

- Hamonic is a tough SOB. Damn.

- It's obvious that the only way we're going to win is by consistently outplaying the opposition on special teams. The way Nielsen, Streit, and Tavares rotate around the top of the umbrella (I'm not an X-O guy, but I think this is accurate terminology) is very effective. I'm surprised we don't see more teams utilizing that strategy. (On the other hand, why don't opposing teams cut off passes to the left wing side? The three players who play high are all lefty shots, and backhand passes are usually much less accurate. The Penguins allowed everything to go to the left.)

- I don't see why the announcers called the Isles PK 'aggressive'. I don't think it's aggressive at all. The issue is that Grabner is explosive, so when there's a flub or a dangerous pass, he can explode from his deep position and get to the puck with speed. It's opportunistic, not aggressive.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I disagree with the bolded. I don't disagree that they have been important parts, I disagree with viewing the situation this way.

Every 5 or 6 game stretch can be analyzed like that, for every team. The Sharks would be not very good without the start that Marleau and Thornton have (they each have NINE power play points). The key is that very few players can keep up torrid paces all season, and a good team has a number of guys that rotate and are hot at different times. When Grabner slumps a bit, we hope another secondary scorer can step up and pot some. Or we hope it is when Tavares is on a hot streak. That's how good teams win. So I don't look at this as a negative.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote