Old
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
I beg to differ. Reaves is better than Langenbrunner in every aspect of the game right now except for passing and experience. Langenbrunner is slow, he doesn't have a good shot anymore, and can't really throw out a hit.

Reaves brings all of that and things that Langs lacks these days. Saying that your 4th line doesn't have much of an impact in the game is just incorrect. I would say Reaves-Nichol-Sobotka is one of the best 4th lines in the NHL. They can eat up almost 10min per game to allow our other 3 lines for much needed rest, they can wear down their opponent with their high energy/high physical play, and sometimes even creat some scoring chances.

Reaves also brings big hits and fights with most of the time him not taking stupid penalties. I would like to see Reaves penalty minutes over a season where fights/instigators aren't shown. Reaves doesn't really get that mad or frustrated and take dumb charging penalties. He plays an effective physical game and I couldn't ask for more from him.
This is wrong. Langenbrunner is slower than he was, but he still has superior instinct, skills, and positioning than Reaves, which is why he gets more ice time when he plays. The 4th line is good, but it's good with either of them.

We have yet to get a meaningful sample size between the two, and remember that correlation does not imply causation. The 4th line is meant to be defensively sound to give a break to the other three, and their minutes reflect that. Both of these guys know how to cycle the puck and keep it in the offensive zone. Reaves brings a different game than Langenbrunner for sure, but in today's NHL enforcers aren't as important as they once were and we have other guys who can fight if need be. I am in no way saying that Langenbrunner should get every start, but it's nonsense that without Reaves we're missing some magic part of the lineup. It's even more nonsense when people say the decision to not play Reaves had an impact in the LA series.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote