View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
blink

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I like this kid a lot, but lets put those 20min/night numbers in context.

The only playoff games he eclipsed 20 minutes were overtime games.

He played as a #5, only topping Jovo and Tyson Strachan in minutes played by d-men those games (Rightfully so as he was only 20).

He played 14-16 minutes a night on avg, the OT games were outliers.

He still isn't anything more than a 3rd pairing defender, and that is fine, I just take exception with throwing out 20 mins/game like its fact.

We heard the same thing about Cody Franson, and he never once topped 20 minutes on the leafs last year, proof that you don't believe everything you read.
I guess this is the thing that baffles me about your post. You say you like the kid a lot but he is only a third pairing defenceman in your view. What I am getting from that is that you feel Florida made a good 3rd overall pick on a bottom pairing defenceman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Who are you talking about?

Gudbranson? I think he'll play well over 20 minutes a night once he's established himself in the NHL.

If you're referring to Franson, I just used him as an example of someone that was called a '20 min a night' defensman, when the numbers just don't back it up. Just looked up Franson's game log...he has 4 games in his entire NHL career where he's eclipsed 20 minutes and one of them was a double OT playoff game.
I was referring to Gudbranson. I think the people that are referring to him as a 20 minute per night defenceman are meaning what his future will be. I'm a New Jersey fan and Gudbranson impressed the hell out of me in that playoff series.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote