Thread: Borowiecki
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Xspyrit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I think you're looking at Phillips through nostalgic eyes. As you said, everybody declines, but in Phillips' case it's now pretty bad. Name one of our defensemen who is slower than him.
Exageration, confirmation bias.

Only Karlsson is clearly faster than him (and everybody else). Wiercioch and Methot too but that's because they're much younger. Cowen would but he's not there... He's on par with Gonchar (although being a faster skater) and Benoit

One thing people don't understand is that veteran D-men change their style over the course of their careers. It is due to a lost of mobility but also from gaining experience and try to save energy out there. They are not running over everywhere on the ice anymore and play a more "positional sound" game.

However, in a straight line, Phillips would still beat a lot of NHL players in a race. You'd be very surprised and understand how much all of this is related to some kind of bias.

Quote:
He's very hesitant when he has the puck, and it often ends up going straight to the opponent. He's still good at taking the body around the net but even then he's not the tower of strength he used to be.
Again, I don't see that a lot and stats confirms it. He's never among the Sens leaders in give aways (4th last year, 6th this year tied with Methot with only 1 GvA)

Quote:
Part of it may be mental. He seems to play much better when he decides (or the coach tells him?) to be more actively involved offensively. It also somehow seems to affect his play with the puck in the defensive zone
No, it's just that it takes him longer to "shake the rust off" than younger players... Phillips has sacrified his body a lot for this team.

From experience, I know that most fans only see things at the surface... The other team scores : who was on the ice? Phillips and Gonchar? ok blame then! It's their fault... when in reality, most of the time, forwards have had a bigger impact in creating a scoring chance for the opposition... NHL is all about time and space. If O'Brien or Smith miss their positionnal assignements = scoring chance for the other team. But I don't expect every fan to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
Looks like what Chris Phillips used to be. Sometimes he has a shade of Volchenkov too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Handles the puck better than Philips and skates better than him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
If it was up to me I will sit Philips instead.

Changed tune after last game?

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote