View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Why in the world would anyone want to move Filppula off of Datsyuk's wing after having 5 pts the past 3 games with him?

I think people (and I'm not just ranting at you, it's a general sense that I get) are way too much under the impression that shoot first player with pass first player is the end all be all in hockey. It's not. It's the most overrated thing in line combos IMO. Puck possession is the key for a guy like Pavel, so when you find a couple wingers that know how to play alongside him, you don't touch it until you're forced to.

For Detroit to be at their best this year, Datsyuk has to be the star. If he's not himself this team won't make the playoffs. You have to give him the assets to succeed. After years of babysitting Holmstrom, I don't think Babcock can take that approach anymore. Pavel can't be used as a safeguard, he has to keep him going on all cylinders this season.

BTW, I'd take pass first Joe Thornton alongside Datsyuk anyway of the week over the majority of snipers in the league.

Yes Fil had 5 points in 3 games but how many of those points were served up a silver platter because of Pav's play? Not to take anything away from Fil, but you can put just about anybody on Pav's wing last night and 9/10 they'll come away with 2 goals. That being said I would still like to see Fil with Pav, but I think Mule fits better with Z.

Also you forgot the 2nd reason of putting Fil on the 2nd line being that it gives Z some defensive aid. That line was abused against the Hawks when they had their legs, and I'm willing to bet that the same thing will happen against St Louis.

BTW I think a line with Stamkos and Pav would produce more points and look a helluva lot better than a line with Thornton and Pav (2 guys who both need the puck on their stick to be their best)

Last edited by Jurky: 01-30-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote