View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 12:25 PM
taylord22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I wouldn't surprised if Kirk was on Suter's right at all, he's a phenomenal offensive talent but needs a reliable defensive player to handle the zones as you so accurately put it. Although I'd expect Yandle to get that spot regardless of handedness and McDonagh to pair with Kirk. (EJ and JJ the 2nd/3rd pairing)

I agree with your post pretty much 100% to be honest. And my scenario was pretty damning for someone like Shattenkirk, but it's what I feel is the best requirement for someone to be a top pairing defender I've come up with so far.

EJ really is the complete defensive package. If he fails to strip the puck with his stick, he's fast enough and physical enough to gain the zone back over most players (sans your power forward types you brought up, which are power forwards due to those very reasons themselves) and he's strong enough to shrug off most players along the boards. He pins them, wins the battle. He blocks shots at key times, he can crush a guy like anyone else.

He's like a swiss army knife on defense, whatever role I need him in he's suitable for. Where he lacks is an area Avs fans still hope a suitable partner and/or coach could correct for him, his offensive game.

I'm glad to feel like I'm having a real conversation with a Blues fan rather than an argument, so thanks for that.
It is nice to have a real conversation on here! Honestly, I was, and still am, a big fan of EJs. His physical tools are something to behold, and he's got a really great attitude. Very sincere.

His offensive game is very perplexing, but I think it stems from him being able to dominate players end to end so much that he never had to learn how to utilize his teammates heading up the ice. If a coach can bring that out in him then...whew...watch out.

I have Yandle on EJ's left, FWIW...pretty nasty top 2 pairings

Still, Canada with Doughty/Weber -- Petro, and sweden with OEL -- Karllson...lord have mercy.

taylord22 is offline   Reply With Quote