View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 01:03 PM
themethod7

vCash: 500
Originally posted in the Bylsma thread but probably belongs here instead:

In response to Chancellor Vitale, emphasis mine...
Quote:
But make no mistake: no forward that we would've drafted in the slots we had available, would've made this team last year or this year and therefore would not have helped this team even though they're good players with upside (see also: Bennett, who isn't far from making the team and IS a very good F talent... but just isn't ready yet after only a season or so of college hockey and a few months in WBS).
Just for fun I went ahead and looked at Shero's 1-3 round drafts from 2006 to present, and this is pretty much spot on, with few exceptions. I ignored players taken in the fourth round or later -if there are top-6 guys playing now that were drafted later than that, it's clear that other teams missed on them as well, so no reason to hold it against Shero.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and there are no guarantees their career paths would have projected the same way. Also, I'll be the first to admit my knowledge of other teams prospect pool is not amazing, so there may be some guys I overlooked, especially in the most recent drafts. Anyway, here are the rounds, the Pens pick, and any notable forwards picked shortly afterward that would likely be an immediate fit into our top-6 this year or next:

1st
Pens: 2. Jordan Staal
Other: 3. Jonathan Toews, 4. Nick Backstrom, 5. Phil Kessel, 22. Claude Giroux

2nd
Pens: 32. Carl Sneep
Other: 36. Jamie McGinn, 50. Milan Lucic, 54. Artem Anisimov

3rd
Pens: 65. Brian Strait
Other: 72. Cal Clutterbuck

1st
Pens: 20. Angelo Esposito
Other: 22. Max Pacioretty, 26. David Perron

2nd
Pens: 51. Kevin Veilleux
Other: 61. Wayne Simmonds

3rd
Pens: 78. Robert Bortuzzo, 80. Casey Pierro-Zabotel
Other: 99. Matt Frattin

1st
Pens: 29. Traded to ATL
Other: None

2nd
Pens: 60. Traded to TOR

3rd
Pens: 90. Traded to NYR

1st
Pens: 30. Simon Despres
Other: 35. Kyle Clifford, 39. Jakob Silfverberg

2nd
Pens: 61. Philip Samuelsson

3rd
Pens: 63. Ben Hanowski

1st
Pens: 20. Beau Bennett

2nd
Pens: 50. Traded to FLA

3rd
Pens: 80. Bryan Rust

1st
Pens: 23. Joe Morrow

2nd
Pens: 54. Scott Harrington

3rd
Pens: 84. Traded to PHI

1st
Pens: 8. Derrick Pouliot, 22. Olli Maatta
Other: 11. Filip Forsberg, 12. Mikhail Grigorenko

2nd
Pens: 52. Teddy Blueger

3rd
Pens: Oskar Sundqvist

Outside of Staal (gift wrapped) and Bennett, he's not drafted a single forward in the first 3 rounds of any draft from 2006-present that would crack our lineup today. His forward picks over that time are Esposito, Veilleux, CPZ, Hanowski, and Rust. Looking at that list, it's no wonder he has an aversion to drafting forwards.

However, 2007 is really the only year where I'd say he missed a golden opportunity to draft forwards that would be a permanent fixture in our top-6, passing up Pacioretty, Perron, and Simmonds for Esposito and Veilleux. 2012's draft is too recent to make any judgments, though with the depth we have at defense already and the dearth of quality forward prospects, Forsberg and Grigorenko look like they may have been better picks at that position - Forsberg was #1 ranked Euro skater and Grigorenko was #3 NA skater, and I think either could slot in beside Sid or Geno today.