Centre Adam Oates

Position: C ▪ Shoots: Right
Height: 5-11 ▪ Weight: 190 lbs.
Born: August 27, 1962 (Age 50) in Weston, Ontario

Oates has:

-341 Goals and 1079 Assists for 1420 Points in 1331 Games
-42 Goals and 114 Assists for 156 Points in 163 Games
-5 All Star Game Appearances
-12 Top 10 Finishes for Assists in a Season including leading the league 3 times
-The 6th most Assists all time
-7 Top 10 Finishes for Points in a Season including 3 times in the top 3

Legends Of Hockey

Quote:
A hard worker without a lot of flash who was good on defence and at making plays, the young Oates was one of the few NHL stars never to have been chosen in the draft, and was slotted into the Detroit lineup as a second-line centre behind Steve Yzerman.
Joe Pelletier

Quote:
He was at times unselfish almost to a fault. But he was far from a one dimensional player. In fact, he was an underrated defensive center and was particularly utilized on the penalty kill or when there was a defensive zone face-off late in the game. His defensive awareness made him invaluable as it would allow his coaches to go head to head with the other team's big line without fear.
Quote:
Oates is the only player to center three 50-goal scorers- Undrafted, Cam Neely and Hull. He is also the only one to center two players , Neely and Hull, who scored 50 goals in 50 games. Coincidence? No way.
Quote:
"As far as I'm concerned, he's the second best playmaking center behind Wayne Gretzky in hockey," said Brett Hull.
Ray Bourque:

Quote:
People take what he does for granted. He does it in a quiet way. He's not a flashy guy,” Bourque once told the Boston Globe. “He's the best centerman I've been around."
Really glad to get Oates. He should provide a solid foundation for my 2nd line in terms of playmaking.