Thread: News Article: 2012-13 News & Notes
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 03:07 PM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Just because Hillen chose not to protect himself from a shoulder to shoulder hit in that situation does not make him a defenseless player. So it's not boarding.

Whereas the NHL agrees in general that it would be unreasonable to expect a player to protect himself from a hit to the numbers on his back.
First, though Lecavalier doesn't have time to realize it, he's shooting it around the boards (watch it again, Hillen has no idea Lecavalier is there, so he didn't "choose not to protect himself, he thinks the immediate pressure is coming from the man he was just engaged with), and last I checked, the process of shooting puts one in a defenseless position.

Second, that's not even what I have issue with, what bugs me is that at what I can best approximate as the point of contact, they've got to be at least 9 or 10 feet away from the boards.

So for Lecavalier to get to ragdoll him through the air over a body length, basically ensuring that the only place his upper body can land is violently into the boards, I remember that being boarding.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote