View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Alflives*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I disagree. When you challenge with speed (on the half wall or on the rush) you do it with good puck protection. Schroeder should be challenging that high seam off the wall with his quickness and plus shot. The key is not over-handling the puck, once you get the corner you gotta let it go before they collapse on you.

Schroeder cannot be static on the cycle or he loses all effectiveness. If standing still an NHL defensemen is going to punish him physically. He has to keep his feet moving.

I agree that Schroeder needs to balance risk and reward. He can't be turning the puck over at the blue line trying to challenge people one on one. He has to be smart. You can't completely clip his wings though, or you're really limiting his potential.
I like your more complete analysis of Schroeder on the rush, but he does need to play inside the dots too. I must still disagree with your view of Schroeder's advantage (or lack there-of) from the static. He is smaller and quicker than most D he plays against. Drawing them close to him, then passing and moving quickly is to his advantage. How should get inside position on the every time. Plus, it's a low risk play, and he can stay on the defensive side.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote