View Single Post
01-30-2013, 03:50 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Does anyone remember Bill Ranford as a Red Wing?
Sadly yes. Chris Osgood was injured in 1999 during the playoffs with the Wings at the end of the first round, and deadline acquisition Ranford came in for the second round. He gave up ten goals on 105 shots in the first four games, getting pulled twice. The Wings scored an average of exactly 3 goals per game (total 12) while giving up 13 (average 3.25) during that period. An injured Osgood had to limp back onto the ice for the final two games of the series, but the Wings only scored two goals for him in those two games - both in the final game. Ranford also did not play well, often giving the puck away and allowing bad goals at bad times. It can be argued that if Osgood were healthy, the Wings would have won a third consecutive Stanley Cup. The best argument against that is Patrick Roy's rivalry mindset compared to Osgood; while he stepped his play up in general, there were certain goaltenders he went "beast mode" against. The fact that Roy allowed 15 goals through six games in the first round against San Jose and Mike Vernon (long-time rival), 13 in only four against Detroit and Ranford but then only two vs. Detroit with Osgood, and then he coughs up 23 in six (a GAA of 3.65!) against Dallas and Ed Belfour, another non-rival.

I know I've turned "Ranford" into "Roy"... but I don't think I've ever seen a player whose game has more of that rivalry/stepping it up aspect with regards to others of his position who were considered rivals.

I wouldn't be stunned to hear the same kind of description of G.Howe or M.Richard, but nobody I've seen with my own eyes.