View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Sorinth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't know what you're talking about man.

It was well known that the Flames were shopping Bourque around. Kelly Hrudey had a rant on it back in the fall of last season and he said it was an absolute joke if Calgary's mgmt had some buyers on the line. No doubt they wanted Cammy because he'd been sucessful there and there's no doubt they called the Habs. So yeah, I'm sure they talked too and nobody denies this. That's not the same as shopping him around.
So because Bourque was being shopped it means that Cammy wasn't. That's some great logic there. There's no evidence whatsoever on whether Cammy was shopped or not. You're making assumptions and treating them as facts.

Quote:
Moreover the day after the trade several GMs said they would've dealt for Cammy but had no idea he was available. So NO he did not get shopped.
I don't put much stock into what an annonymous GM claims he would've done. Factor in Cammy's no trade clause, and the desire to send him out west and it's not at all surprising.

Quote:
I'll repeat what I said back then... if that's the best we could do... then just keep Cammy.
Has no bearing on whether he was shopped around or not.

Quote:
There's no way that's the best we could do though because other GMs came out and said they'd have given more. It was on Sportsnet all day with those guys talking about it. And in fact they were talking about it BEFORE the deal went down because Cammy had made the comments.
I may be wrong but I don't remember hearing any GM saying they would have given more. I only remember some anonymous GM not knowing Cammy was available to be traded and they would've liked to have had the chance to make an offer. Trading disgruntled/underachieving "star" players like Cammy historically don't get good returns. Remember what Boston got for Joe Thornton?

And if Sportsnet spent all day talking about it and this anonymous GM was so interested in Cammy why didn't he pick up the phone.

Quote:
It was a combination of both. He wanted to get rid of Cammy right away. That was the underlying factor. He had a team that had knocked on his door and he took a wild stab at a player with great tools but no heart (who was STILL under suspension.) It was entirely a short term move with a window dressing 2nd and middling prospect to come along with it.
Trading for someone with a longer contract, plus getting picks/prospects is a short term move? Trading a player during an important game for a suspended player is trying to make the playoffs? How does that make any sense.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote