View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 07:26 PM
Jules Winnfield
Kessel is phat

vCash: 500
Here's part of the problem as I see it.

The Pens have zero depth on this team compared to years in the past. It's fairly evident how much a guy like Steve Sullivan was important to the Pens when you lose him. If Crosby, Malkin, and Neal aren't scoring, we are screwed. Our secondary scoring forwards consisting of Kunitz, Dupuis, Cooke, Sutter, Kennedy, and random person thrown on Malkin's wing aren't producing.

If we don't have depth to trade from on the big club, we're likely going to have to A) hope that everything gets better with what we have, B) deal a pick or mid-prospect for someone like Brendan Morrow to patch things up, or C) trade away some of the young talent we've accumulated on defense in the system.

That brings me to my next point. Other than a guy like Kessel that could be on the block, there is really no impact player on the market as of yet. The problem is with such a short season, by the time the trade deadline gets here, there may be a lot of teams fighting for playoff spots and may not have any interest in trading their veteran for our plethora of prospects. If Anaheim is fighting for the playoffs, they may roll the dice and keep Perry. It's just an unknown at this point with the short season.

I think the likely situation is that Shero is going to have to either A) sit tight and hope the ship rights itself with what we have in the organization or B) Make some patch work trades to acquire guys in the mold of Morrow, Umberger, etc (a veteran who will hold us over for a while).

If I had to guess, I would think Shero is going to acquire at least one veteran winger and one veteran defenseman. This team is lacking some older veteran leadership in the mold of guys like Guerin, Talbot, Gill, etc.

I was at the game last night and was appalled. The boos were louder for the Pens than the cheers. Between Lovejoy getting boarded and Martin (from the Isles) throwing a few shots at people like Cooke, Kennedy, and others at the end, no one went out there with the idea that I'm going to fight for my team. This team could use some balls Mr. Shero.