View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 08:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
I highly doubt we see Ovechkin traded. That would be an admission on the part of the current GMGM that he made a mistake in assessing Ovechkin. From Ted's standpoint it would be a hit in both the public relations and teams marketing departments. Ovie puts fannies in the seats at Verizon. I don't know where his jersey ranks now as far as popularity, but it probably is still in the top 10 if not top 5. Ted's a businessman first and always will be.

The one way out of this for the Caps is that Ovie pulls a Kuznetsov and opts to remain in Russia with his new bride. I know there's ramifications contractually for that between the NHL and the KHL, but if Ovie continues to perform like he has these first few games, would the Caps be upset in releasing him from his contract. The Caps orgnization saves face and money. It was his decision, he was unhappy and homesick.
Is that even allowed from a CBA perspective even if Ovechkin wanted to tear up his NHL deal and go home to live and play there?

I don't see any way Ovechkin from a financial perspective would throw away that gauranteed $$.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote