View Single Post
Old
06-30-2006, 04:15 PM
mercury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99
Never isn't a stupid word to use, the defenders that have won the Hart and the Norris in the same season, are ELITE. You can count them on one hand, that's how good these guys have been. Bobby Orr, if the Norris was made when Eddie Shore was playing, he UNDOUBTEDLY would have won it, because he won the Hart FOUR TIMES as a defender. There is no doubt in anyone's mind who has ever seen him play that he would have been a perrennial Norris Winner on top of winning the Hart. Finally, there's the afforementioned Chris Pronger.

Pitkanen is a pure offensive defenseman who isn't that physical, nor spectacular in his own zone. I doubt you know how many pure offensive defenseman like Joni have won the Norris. The only guy that sticks out like a sore thumb is Paul Coffey, and Paul Coffey was putting up RECORD-SETTING numbers, something which I doubt that Pitkanen will even come close to doing. The Norris is usually award to the best all-around defender, guys like Pronger, Leetch, who back in the day was one of the most dominant defenders out there. Could change the game on either side of the puck. Ray Bourque, who is one of the top 3 best to ever play the game on defense. Chris Chelios, another two-way guy. Larry Robinson. Lidstrom, even though I think he's overrated is another two-way guy. You get the point though. A pure offensive defenseman isn't going to win the Norris unless he's putting up phenomenal numbers.

No knock at Joni, just a near impossible feat with the way the voters have voted over the years for the Norris. Brian Leetch got ROBBED of one in 2001. They gave it to Lidstrom, even though Lidstrom had a supporting cast that would make Leetch's look like a minor league team.
Pitkanen is neither a purely offensive defenseman, nor "not that physical." Did you see him the first half of the season? Everyone in Philly was happy that Joni started asserted himself physically. He even looked to be developing a mean streak that was very pleasing to us. The kid isn't Tom Poti over here. Just because he can skate and put up points doesn't mean he is Coffey-esque.

mercury is online now   Reply With Quote