View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 12:52 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
To everyone who wants to fire Shero... tell me who replaces him and tell me some GMs around the league that are way better. I want you to name 15 of course seeing that you think Ray Shero is worthy of being fired.
This is a difficult thing to do, simply because GMs aren't in identical situations in order to compare the job they've done on an equal footing.

For example, is it possible to compare Shero to Burke without first acknowledging the situations they came into first, and the impact of that on how difficult it was for them to build a winner? Shero's team has certainly been more successful over his tenure than Burke's has, but Burke also didn't start off with a roster that included Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and assets in the pipeline like Letang and Goligoski.

That kind of comes back to my issue with Shero. Perhaps "issue" is the wrong word ... but anyway, the fact that he's got two tremendous talents and hasn't surrounded them with the talent and supporting cast to make absolute most of their abilities. Our winger situation has been a hole in the line up, arguably, since Hossa and Malone left.

I don't know if there are 15 better GMs out there. I won't know until they have the competitive advantage Shero has of inheriting Crosby and Malkin, and seeing what kind of job they could do with Crosby and Malkin to build around. All I do know is that since 2008, our superstar centers have had the likes of Dupuis, Kunitz, ancient Guerin, Fedotenko, Talbot, etc. riding shotgun with them, and that lack of talent has been a big contributor in the playoff losses the past three playoffs.

I voted for the middle option, because I'm willing to see what he does this off season with the cap space the Staal/Michalek deals opened up. Also because this season was kind of wonky with the lockout/labor issues. But at what point can you no longer defend his lack of ability to plug the glaring holes in the roster? If Sid's approaching 30 years old and he's still got two grinders on his wing?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote