View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
Like I tried to say last summer... He may be good, but he's not a #1 center in the NHL. He's a #2 (at best), and we already have the ideal second line center in Plekanec in our line-up and playing well. With our future #1 center (hopefully.. knock on wood) already in our line up as well in Galchenyuk, I just don't see where he fits in if it's not on the wing. And for that, he has to outplay Gallagher and Gionta in the top 6 smurf-wing category.
I don't think DD needs to be in the top 6 to be useful. Skilled 3rd lines are the norm now. Boston's is Bourque-Kelly-Peverley. Buffalo's is Foligno-Grigorenko-Hecht. IMO a 3rd line including DD and Eller (when/if the rookies become bonafide top 6 material) would not be the worst thing. They are certainly cheap enough to justify being used in that role.

If the issue is too many forwards to be sheltered, well, what are you going to do? I'd say the odds of trading DD straight up for a skilled tough minute forward are very low. So the debate gets shelved until it's time to talk money in the offseason, or an exceptional circumstance like a rare quantity for quality trade becomes possible. Until then, I think we can all agree that DD is more of an asset in the lineup than, say, Leblanc. As much as last season was a best case scenario that is unlikely to repeat, DD is still an NHL'er. His skills didn't abandon him when he turned 26.