View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 09:10 AM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Bleach Clean I was more using your comment as an opportunity to point out just how little Gillis has squandered at the deadline (unlike his predecessors) than disagreeing with the point you were(n't ) making.

And really before Pahlsson we'd never truly 'rented' a player at the trade deadline.

I think this is going to be a difficult time for the Canucks in that the cap ceiling might well cost them the depth they've built up over the past three or four seasons (and there isn't a large group of prospects in the cupboard).

That being said I'm not expecting the Canucks organization to fundamentally change their expectations about on ice performance; I think the Luongo trade is probably being planned on to address some organizational shortcomings (either the small number of NHL-ready prospects for next year or the lack of a sure thing type of gamebreaker in the system .. probably the former) and then Gillis will have to find a way to address the rest over the next couple of seasons.

In my opinion he hasn't given us much reason to expect that he won't, although I am aware that a few posters are only too happy to disagree.

Anyway I'm now veering sharply away from subject matter appropriate to the "prospect thread" so I'll leave it there.