View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 09:28 AM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
What he can be criticized for is asset management. For every traded pick, there is a ripple effect that affects the management and outlook of the team later on down the road. I'm thinking about wasted 2nd rounders that could be traded for goalies at deadlines. I'm also thinking about the Flyers not drafting defensemen. Wouldn't d-men drafted 2-3 years ago look good on this roster right about now?

Hey, maybe that's a club philosophy, I don't know. But relying on free agency/trades/offer sheets to have a shot at getting extremely important players is a huge gamble and, I think, a losing strategy. It takes us out of the driver's seat and leaves too much to chance. Draft and build internally. The resistance (impatience) the Flyers show to doing that is definitely something that can be blamed on management.
This, a thousand times this. The Flyers have had trouble properly managing their assets for the length of Holmgren's tenure, particularly the areas of the cap, draft picks, and prospects. This has hurt them in terms of building from within, but also in terms of being able to have flexibility to respond to injuries and areas of need. Failure to understand how the cap truly works has lead to the need to perform salary dumps all too often (Gagne, Upshall, etc) and limited their ability to handle injuries at critical points in the season. It has also limited their ability to build a team from within, as those salary dumps have used up draft picks and prospects to get other teams to take on salary for us.

So now, we arrive at a point where the defense is below par, but there are not enough assets to acquire what is needed nor apparently a plan beyond "Get Shea Weber whatever it takes". While the Schenn move has seemed to be an acceptable one for both teams so far, it did not address what is really wrong with this defense, which is the lack of a puck moving d-man.

Yes, some blame must fall on Laviolette for not reacting to the changes in the composition of the team. But let's not forget that he doesn't acquire the players, nor does he determine that there must be a lockout that deprives him of any chance of sorting out a defense that has been majorly changed since the previous season. I'll admit I like Lavy and would like him to stay, but I think firing him at this point would be premature.

I do think Holmgren is not free of fault here either, and would look more closely at his asset and cap management. For God's sake, get someone in the front office who understands the goddamned CBA. I'm tired of posters on internet message boards understanding this stuff better then people PAID TO DO SO.