View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 11:07 AM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
Actually, that is how it works. Weber is under no obligation to play his final RFA year. He hits age 27 and if he's not under contract, he becomes a UFA no questions asked. If Weber sat out 2012-2013, he'd be an unrestricted free agent summer of 2013. Alternatively, Weber could've just signed the 1 year 7.5M tender and again he would've been an unrestricted free agent summer of 2013. But no matter what, Weber could've forced his way to unrestricted free agency.

I don't necessarily know what other teams would offer for Shea Weber, but any intelligent fan can get reasonably close by looking at what similar players w/ 1 year till UFA status have gotten. It starts w/ Brayden Schenn and then maybe you have to add a Voracek and a 1st. This is actually considerably more than most star players one year from UFA get, but Weber is elite so I upped the price a little. Would I trade that for the best defenseman in the game? Absolutely without hesitation.

As far as "gutting the roster", I don't think trading Schenn and Voracek and a 1st guts the roster at all. Far from it actually.

Hartnell-Giroux-JVR
Simmonds-Briere-Read
Fedotenko-Couturier-Talbot

Weber-Coburn
Timonen-Grossmann
Meszaros-Gus/Gervais/Foster
My bad, your right. I was confusing his situation with Radulov's but Radulov still was under contract. Again you are assuming no one would put a better offer on the table than Schenn Voracek and a 1st. Kreider JT Miller Del Zotto plus a 1st the Rangers could of offered. Edmonton could of offered the 1st overall plus Gagne and Klefbom. I could come up with a ton of deals but I would be just as speculating as you are. What we do know is the Preds were rumored to want Schenn Couturier plus other things. That is a huge overpayment to my opinion. Having a Norris calibur defensemen does not necessarily equal a Stanley Cup