Old
01-31-2013, 12:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
What is with the obsession with Shea Weber? How many cups did he win? How many conference championships has he been to? If all that was required to win a Stanley Cup was "#1 defenseman", Nashville must have won the last three Stanley Cups with two #1 defensemen and an all world goalie, which is normally the fans' obsession.
It is not the only thing you need, but it certainly seems like #1 defenseman is a requirement...

LA had Doughty last year
Bruins had Chara the year before
Blackhawks had Keith
Pens had Gonchar who at the time was probably borderline #1
Red Wings had Lidstrom for their multiple
Ducks had Pronger (and Neids)
Devils had Stevens when they won their multiple
Lightning had Dan Boyle
The Avs had Ray Borque

I could keep going. The only team that I can remember that didn't have a true #1 is Carolina and that's just because I can't remember anyone on that team. There could have been someone or maybe not, don't remember. Even if you don't consider Gonchar a true #1 on the Pens, that is two out of the last whatever and if you go back further I am sure you will find a true #1 on nearly every cup winning team in the last 20 years or more. Getting Weber would not guarantee anything, but it is pretty clear that having a true #1 isn't just some weird coincidence shared by all these Cup winning teams...