Thread: Prospect Info: Mikael Granlund IV
View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
PhillyPhinn

vCash: 500
The way you know Granlund has been terrible, is that us finns haven't been commenting on this thread for several pages ..... Too embarrased to come up with excuses.

At first I thought it was a lack of confidence, which it may be to a degree, but his style of play just does not work in the NHL, until he learns how to lean on guys, and learns how to make faster decisions.

I'm not a Wild fan, so I've watched the Wild games basically with my eyes glued on #64, and he looks even worse that way.... There have been very few shifts in which he has looked like he belongs in the NHL, let alone has contributed to the team offensively. Almost every shift something happens, where my finnish heart just cringes at how bad he is/looks. The amount of times he loses his stick, gets knocked down, and turns the puck over is way more than what you would expect from a rookie, let alone an "older" rookie like MG.

Thankfully he has three points, he could have 0 with the way he's playing, so hopefully that will keep the national media and the finnish media off his back. But to be honest, as a finn who has been waiting for a top finnish prospect to enter the league for a long time, it's physically and mentally painful to watch Granlund. In the first few games I eagerly awaited seeing his every shift, but now it's the exact opposite, and I actively hope Yeo benches him as it hurts too much watching him fumble all over the ice....