View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think that's patently false. On a day-to-day basis, yes, but on a bigger scale, Ovechkin is easily the second most talked about hockey player in the world since the lock out, with only Crosby ahead of him. You don't think that has any effect after dealing with it for almost 10 years?

I'm not saying it has anything to do with his play - I don't think him being complacent has anything to do with it. You could argue he's "matured" but either way, I'd still hold true to my original belief that the NHL and the media covering it (and certainly some fans) don't want "personalities", they want the same quotes and interviews and on-ice celebrations they've been accustomed to for decades now. Eventually these "personalites" realize you get less negative attention and have to answer fewer stupid questions when you act like everyone else on your team.
Ovechkin will not hear or see a good 90% of what is spoken about him on Sportscenter, NHL Network, and the newspapers because I doubt he dedicates THAT much time for that.

If anyone is responsible for reining him in, it's probably his coaches and teammates because they actually interact with him on a daily basis. And he still cooked up some new celebrations, like the "belly pat" and putting his hand in a "I can't hear you" pose to Rangers fans. The swagger is still there, although not as brazen as the "stick on fire" celebration that pissed off Don Cherry.