View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Explain why Seattle was passed over in every other expansion bid, I think people are way too optimistic about Seattle, sure it is a wealthy city that may afford a lot of corporate support but I wonder if they are really into hockey. Sure Seattle may have greater potential, the city is 5 times as big, but there are 8 million hockey fans in the province of Quebec. A team in Seattle will be the 5th team in that city, NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS followed by the NHL.
Why was any other successful franchise passed over during any expansion (for any sport for that matter, NHL, NFL, NBA)? Maybe they didn't put in a bid? No ownership group established, No arena development plans, etc. there's plenty of reasons.

How do you wonder if they're into hockey when they sell out junior teams that aren't even doing well? Cheap tickets means nothing. People have to still want to go and watch the game. It's the same reason not every city has successful junior or AHL level hockey. Not to mention the fact that many of those people regularly cross the border to watch NHL (Vancouver) games. That shows a heavy amount of dedication.

Plus like I stated before, you have to look at secondary markets. Seattle has an abundance of them and QC has exactly zero. Montreal dominates all of them and the whole 8 million people thing is bull, not every Canadian is a hockey fan, I hate to break it to you. Not to mention how badly skewed the pie chart would be for Montreal fans to QC fans.