View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 01:03 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Which two-time Vezina/1st Team All-Star goaltender isn't on our list? Surprise, they all are. The only ones with even a single selection that didn't make it up for vote are Ryan Miller, Evgeni Nabokov, Jose Theodore, Olaf Kolzig, Jim Carey, Pelle Lindbergh, Pete Peeters, Roger Crozier, Johnny Mowers, and Normie Smith.
Crozier - 53
Smith - 56
Kolzig - 61
Nabokov - 62
Peeters - 66
Miller - 68
Lindbergh - 71
Mowers - 74
Theodore - 79

Carey is the only one the board didn't judge top-80. It's not unreasonable to think that if Crozier, Smith, Kolzig or Nabokov had won a Cup and Conn Smythe, or simply had another great season, that they would have rocketed past Thomas on the basis of longevity.

I think the standards are more consistent than they're being given credit for. Thomas had the all-time great seasons that are normally associated with goalies ranked much higher, and was indeed penalized for his lack of longevity. Had the goalies behind him matched his peak, he wouldn't have made the list at all because of his short NHL career. But they didn't, so why would we rank them ahead?

I'm curious whether Mike or C1958 (or anyone else who agrees with them, and I'm sure there are some who aren't speaking up) thinks we should rank Thomas behind Jose Theodore on the basis that Theodore maintained a starting spot for a long time and had one great year.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote