View Single Post
01-31-2013, 01:21 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
We weren't very good defensively. Not just Gonchar's fly-by on Moen. Overall, we let the Habs' smurfs do whatever they wanted for much of the series. And we made Maxim Lapierre look like Yvan Cournoyer reincarnate in a few of those games. We played soff D, there's no denying that.

Offensively, I thought we could have played with more urgency. We seemed to have the attitude that "we will win this series in the end", with little urgency in our game. It was arrogant and it bit us in the ass.

That's mostly on the coach, I'm afraid.
Fleury allowed goals on the first shot of the game 3 times. Twice, they were shots from the icing line. The Pyatt goal, in game 4, and the game 7 goal. Let's not forget Moore's fadeaway jumper for goal 2 of that game. By the time the Gonchar fly-by happened, the game was over.

I remember Lapierre scoring a nice goal when he outmuscled Goligoski (which still isn't hard to do 3 years later), but I also remember Lapierre scoring on - you guessed it - a wraparound goal where Fleury took about 5 minutes to realize which side of the net Lapierre was going to come around. I also remember a puck going in off Letang's skate on a centering pass, but it happened so far away from the net that it should have been stopped, but Fleury was once again napping. I also remember zone time being about 65-35.

Don't believe me? Listen to Sid's rant after game 7, where he comes out and says something like "I've never seen a team's strategy to be to get outchanced 2-1 a game. I don't know how long you can win like that"

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote