View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 04:12 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
I think he would have scored 30 as a 17 year old while adjusting to the smaller rink.

The guy has yet to play 30 games for the same team since he was 15, he keeps getting bumped up to the next level. He is still a teenager playing in the NHL and looks good out there. I'd say 90% of the criticism comes from people looking at stats, and the rest is nitpicking his style of play because he might not be the next Hossa.

If you ain't excited about this kid, just give up on life and continue to cry every time your team doesn't win every game 6-0.
At 17, he'd have probably scored enough to get top 10 consideration for that draft. Because that's what he is. May not have put up the numbers Strome did that year, but considering the other things he brings to the table as a legit NHL scoring prospect, he probably wouldn't have been that far off.

It borders on colossal failure if Zibanejad isn't a top 6 forward someday on a good team. And there's something wrong if he isn't scoring 20-30 and perhaps sometimes higher in any given season.

There are too many NHL scoring tools at his disposal for this not to be a reasonable expectation.

Even if you think he doesn't have any finish, which is up in the air if you ask me, some players without finish have scored 30 goals in a season before. There are some players that'll score 20 goals in a season just by banging pucks in. And there's some guys that bang pucks in, and score from range....and you'll probably see Mika do this (refer to that bold, underline, italicized point I made above). Milan Michalek isn't much of a finisher unless he's 2 feet from the goalie....and who doesn't usually finish when there in that tight.

Scouting isn't rocket science, but you do put expectations on players if they have obvious tools that should lead to production.