View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 04:02 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I agree that buyouts are extreme and expensive but a player's value depends on the market. Yes, there may have been great offers on the table (I like the idea of Kadri having a fresh start in a place like Vancouver) but are they still in play? Has anything changed to shut the door on a trade right now?

Luongo's contract might make for an ugly buyout (IF it becomes an option) but it also makes for a difficult trade.
This buyout talk is nothing short of utterly ridiculous nonsense. Go back to 2011 and try to find one person talking about how bad the Luongo contract is. What you'll get is either people who are perfectly okay with it or other fans complaining that the Canucks were circumventing the cap. I mean really, the contract is good enough for a Stanley Cup contending team that's won back to back Presidents Trophy's and made it to game 7 of the finals. So all of a sudden it's not good enough for say a team that hasn't made the playoffs for 10 years largely because of crap goaltending? Really?

The only reason it's become an issue is because the emergence of Cory Schneider has given us two top starting goaltenders, so with one up for trade other fans will try to create and magnify any sort of perceived fault they can to lower the value for when they play armchair GM.

Regardless of all this though at the end of the day if you're going to suggest Luongo should be bought it then it's going to come down to asking our owner to pay about $30 million dollars up front to do so. How do you think that conversations going to go?