Thread: Player Discussion: Derek Stepan
View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 04:20 PM
mullichicken25

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I've been watching Stepan for years now. He plays his best hockey when he has a guy with size on his line. He's not a fast skater, but he's agile. If he gets some open space, you can see the magic he can generate with his vision and hockey sense. He was excellent with Anisimov, played his best minutes of the season with guys like Boyle and Pyatt on his line and was stellar at the WC with Blake Wheeler on his wing. He's a very good player who can, and often does make the players around him better. However, if he had better wheels and a better shot, we wouldn't be griping about him as a #2C, because he'd be a #1 center.

I'm telling you, get this kid out there with someone who can create space -- whether that's Pyatt or someone else, and he, along with his linemates will benefit from it. Not all great players are guys who carry a line themselves. Sometimes you just need to give them the right situation to succeed.
agree completely

i'd like to see him with Nash and Pyatt then put Hags back with Gaborik and Richards