View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Saw enough of O'Reilly last year and was hugely impressed enough that at one point tried to talk to Avs fans about what trade might get him. He was basically described as untouchable. He's a more dynamic player offensively than Backes, who gets a lot of his points with dirty work and hustle. I'd rather have Backes, but I was very, very impressed with Ryan O'Reilly last year and his two way play and ability to feed a guy like Tarasenko would fit perfectly on this team. I'd give him an Oshie contract. Keep in mind he put up the same number of points as Backes last year (at age 20-21) and he was a huge part of creating that offense.
I agree that he's a fantastic player and would love to have him on our team. I just think Backes' offensive abilities get overlooked because he's known more as a "defensive forward". Backes does get a lot of "dirty" goals cashing in rebounds in front of the net, but he does have a ridiculously hard, and fairly accurate shot, and fairly good hands and vision for a big guy. I'd definitely give O'Reilly Oshie money. Seems by the talk around the "insiders" that he might want more than Backes money, which I would not feel comfortable giving to a player that has only shown 1 year of great play. Berglund had a statistically similar year his 20 year old season, and I don't think we'd be very happy to be paying Bergie that kind of money at this point. I would like to see a few more years of consistently good play out of O'Reilly before I'd give him a big contract like that.