View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 05:18 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
According to LoneRanger on Rangersrush (a more than credible source), the price for the Ranger's acquiring Alan Quine at the deadline was Pederson and a pick (I'll assume our 2nd in 2013).

Spott wouldn't do the deal so he was dealt to the Bulls for three 2nd rounders. Since the trade, Quine has 16 points in 8 games and is a plus 13. Most interesting is that 13 of the 16 points are assists. If the Rangers needed anything at the deadline, it was a playmaking center to pick up where Catenacci left off.

Spott did a pretty good job at the deadline picking up the guys he did and we are a lot better this year as a result. Also worth mentioning is that the Sudbury deal was made without having to surrender any of our covetted '95's. But, had he done the Quine deal too, we are arguably the favorite in the west.

How we'd have looked up front with Quine:

Puempel - Quine - Rieder
Leivo - Faksa - Shoenmakers
Thomson - Marcantuoni - Ming
Llewellyn - Sterk - Bailey
Alberga - Meighan

That's Deep!!!

At the end of the day, Pederson has improved quite a bit over the last few months but IMHO, he and the 2nd rounder would have been well worth the cost for Quine but for some reason, it seems Pederson is an untouchable in Spott's eyes.

I see Pederson eventually becoming a Tyler Randell type player without the mean streak. That type of player is a good asset but that missing mean streak is huge.

I'd have done the deal for sure. Spott was able to make the moves he did make relatively cheap when you consider the youth we gave up. Surrendering a piece like Pederson, even though Spott highly covets him, to put us over the top would have been acceptable - especially if it resulted in banner raisings next fall.