View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I dont know enough about their past, but how did 2 guys put the franchise in a mess? Wouldn't you say it was a mess to begin with? It was NEVER a viable location for hockey, and it took the NHL this long to realize that.
They made the playoffs five out of their first six years in the desert and were drawing well. Things starting going downhill after that as far as the quality of product on the ice and in a new market like that that's not going to fare too well after a while. Many would argue leaving the downtown venue for the one they're in now from a logistics standpoint hurt them and I'd agree at least to some extent.

It's a tough pro sports market, period. It's a huge transplant city, ASU is there, it's just a city without a true sports identity in a lot of ways because of that. Lot of hockey fans there, and youth hockey exploded there just like it took off down in Dallas and other Sunbelt cities the NHL touched (or in California's case after Gretzky arrived) so there was some good to come of it, but as it stands now I just think too much damage has been done in Phoenix and they're out of time.