View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Kessel has been so awful these past few years playing on lines with shoot first players like Lupul and Kulemin. And Kesler has been really terrible with shoot first players like Samuelsson and Booth on his line.

Swapping David Booth for Phil Kessel does almost nothing to the team's depth and adds a hell of a lot of skill.

I think it's completely unrealistic to think he's traded, but people are kidding themselves if he wouldn't be a huge improvement here.
I am going to reiterate what I posted on the main board.

"I believe there is one thing we are neglecting here. Kesler is capable of adopting the playmaking role - evident by his 50 assists. One of the primary reasons I suspect he refrained from doing so afterward is a lack of trust in his linemates. He particularly had to do everything otherwise the line would not score. Kessel is a legitimate goal scorer and infinitely superior to anyone Kesler plays with consistently, relatively speaking. I do not see the two having any difficulty long term."

The play died on Raymond and Samuelsson's stick nearly every time. We knew and Kesler knew, that if anything was going to translate from the second line. It would only happen if he did it himself. Kessel is a completely different player, and one I believe Kesler would be comfortable passing to. Furthermore, Lupul was not an issue for Kessel, Grabovski was due to his style. Unlike Kesler, Grabs does not possess any playmaking capabilities and prefers wingers to setup their own play.

Kessel's passing and playmaking is being incredibly undervalued here. He may not dazzle anyone nor is it his go to tactic. But he is far from bad at either.

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 01-31-2013 at 06:52 PM.