View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 07:41 PM
mopigeons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Very interesting.. I'd love to see what you come up with.

The only thign i'd caution against using a time frame that goes all the way back to the 80's is i think you'll find success rate considerablly different, so using the two in a combined pool will skew "relevent"/recent numbers to seem less succesful.

It is the big issue with an event that happens once a year, the changes in the nature of the game, drafting, scouting, development all play apart so that the data your studieing from the 80's is from a very different creature then what your studying in the last 10 years.

just important to keep this in mind.
I know what you mean. While it's my goal to go that far back, I may start off with something "closer" and keep it to the 30-team era. Already, I can acknowledge that even in the 30-team era there are important differences in terms of statistics produced by different styles of play (ie: the crackdown on obstruction post-lockout), but I hope I can find some way to normalize statistics in there.

Once I get something that works for the 30-team NHL, I'll try to expand my timeframe further back.

I'm still working on putting the data together, but look forward to discussing it once results trickle in.

mopigeons is offline   Reply With Quote