Thread: Value of: Ovechkin
View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 09:19 PM
FlyingHigh28*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Without Orlov and with the 2nd being a 1st, maybe. At this point I'd rather have Orlov than Luke Schenn.

Thing to consider is that even if Ovi plays at the level he played last season/in the KHL he's a 40g 80p player at worst on pretty much any team that has top 6 players to put him with and secondary scoring depth. Flyers top 6 would probably be Ovechkin-Giroux-Simmonds/Hartnell-Briere-Read. Laviolette runs an offensive style. In that situation he's probably 45-95 if not 50-100+. And he still brings everything in the playoffs.

That's a trade that would haunt us for a long time.
I think it was a pretty fair offer as is. There's absolutely no guarantee Ovi is a 45-95 player in Philly or anywhere close to it. It's a huge gamble for the Flyers and it would be a mighty great start to a Washington mini-rebuild.

I tried to put together a realistic and fair offer for both sides. A lot of people would probably argue that given the current state of Ovi's game this is an overpayment. I think it's a gamble that's worth it, but many others would disagree. Assuming Orlov is kept in the deal, I could see the 2nd becoming a 1st, provided the 1st rounder is top-15 protected for 2013 (because the Flyers are awful this yr).

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote