Thread: Pre-Game Talk: 2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk
View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 08:22 PM
thefeebster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
What puts makes Lazar such a no brainer over Rychel in your opinion.

McCarron would be a project but we are seeing how important having a power forward can be, with the play of Kassian this year. It sounds like he plays big as well, and if he can have average skating he could be an absolute beast (think Lucic in his first couple seasons). His size is too much to ignore and he should be given a good long look as a potential 2nd rd pick IMO.
Now that I'm home, i can give this a good reply.

Rychel, i feel lacks the potential to be a go-to player. He struggled a bit without a good center (Koko) feeding him passes. He is a complementary winger imo at the next level. People have also labelled him as a nasty, physical, power forward kind of player. But I don't see that consistently when i've watched Windsor. He's a gritty kind of player who will stand up for himself and his team, but nasty or punishing, i don't see that in any sense of those words. And he has been hit or miss for me when i've watched. That said, he would still be a good pick for whichever team that takes him, I like the way he drives to the net, his work in front of the net and his ability to score in a variety of ways.

Lazar: I believe he has the same scoring ability as Rychel with the shot he has. Lazar is a smarter player in all 3 zones, imo, and has the ability to be a leader on and off the ice, he was the go to player in the Oilkings' playoff run last season. He has that ability although he is currently on the 3rd line, but he has embraced a smaller role and has still been able to contribute. Lazar will consistently make an impact on every game he plays, and that's something i haven't see from Rychel. I think he has a great foundation to build on.

As an aside, if you watch any interview of him, i think his enthusiasm for the game is infectious. He is always smiling, even on the ice! He has a great attitude and is very coachable.

-----------

Bolded is a drafting philosophy i simply dislike. His size is the first attribute you identified as an asset. Seems like a few here simply see height and weight and everything else blurs into the background. Kassian is far different, he was recognized as one of the toughest guys in the OHL and very skilled. McCarron has slow acceleration, but decent mobility, not consistently a mean player, does not use his size on a consistent basis and is not near the puck handler that Kassian was in his draft year. He is extremely raw and not a guy i'd choose in the 2nd with the guys currently ranked here.

I'll give you a concession, I wouldn't be opposed to taking Tyler Hill in the 3rd round or 4th (wasn't tanked even in the HM by Bobby Mac). A similar kind of player, just as raw, just doesn't have the exposure of the US NTDP to prop him up.