View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR97 View Post
You can get by without backwards cross-overs. In fact, it can actually be detrimental if you end up skating faster than the attack and give too much gap.

When I first started playing defense I was already a good skater and could skate faster backwards than a lot of guys could forward. What I realized is that it was a waste because in looking all slick and speedy I was basically just handing over our 1/2 of the neutral zone and the blue line.

The more important skating skill is transitioning/pivoting from backwards to forwards. Which is basically a cross-over/under.

You might also want to work on skating forward and then flipping around backwards to your wide stance/C-cuts.
This is the key actually. I started taking power skating lessons from age 3 till about 12 and this was preached heavily. Getting that momentum from skating forward(while getting back) is crucial. If you start from a stopped position and start skating backwards crossing over, anyone will blow by you. Take 4 or 5 strides then flip around.

Man Bear Pig is online now   Reply With Quote