View Single Post
Old
01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
Just out of curiosity...is this a no-no? I will be playing recreational level hockey (the lowest level) starting this Saturday and it runs all the way through until the end of August (lucky me). I really want to learn to be a defenceman, but I'm wondering if I should really be proficient in skating backwards before doing so? Or at this level should it not matter?

I'm a pretty fast skater going forwards...I can stop, do crossovers, and I can skate backwards with c-cuts, but I'm very hesitant to do backwards crossovers as I'm not good at them (borderline not being able to do them).
Out of curiosity, what league are you going to be playing in?

If you ask me, playing D is based on who else is available. If you have solid, experienced D, they're going to get preference. It's important to have good D who can get the puck out of trouble and move it to the forwards.

If your team doesn't have a full set of D, just volunteer and do the best you can. I find most people want to play forward anyways so it's not hard to get slotted in D, especially in the lower levels.

The ideal is to be paired with a good D partner who can show you the ropes and ease the transition.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote