View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I know what you are saying but I am saying we don't have the skilled physical guys to begin with so adding 4th line grit is like adding an extra stick to Butler it just doesn't do anything. We need another top player that is also gritty the guys you listed aren't going to fix the problem we don't need 8 minute a night guys we need a Downie or a Hartnell
I don't think the team needs to add a skilled, gritty guy. It would be great, but not necessary. Just getting a guy who is tough and physical and has some decent hands would be a plus. Put him on a line with Backlund and Baertschi, where the 3rd forward would create space for the youngsters and clog up the front of the net.

It's not always necessary to have all 3 players on a line being highly skilled. Sometimes it helps to have a solid role player on a line that will do the dirty work, like Colin Patterson did when he played with Gilmour and Loob. Glencross played a similar role early in his Flames career, but has developed more skill over time.

Or look at what Vancouver has done. They've put Burrows and now Kassian on a line with the Sedins. Both players are gritty forwards with some skill (I wouldn't call either them overly skilled players), but they do the dirty work in the corners and get to the front of the net, thus freeing up space for the Sedins to work.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote