View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Nothing As It Seems
I only own my mind..

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
Ok, there are still 41 games left so nobody knows what's gonan happen. Maybe we'll go 30-11 down the road..

But anyway, so far things don't look that bright. Tortorella is partly to blame, but in the end he's still playing with the cards dealt to him. Nash was an awesome addition, but he has never been someone to put a team on his back when others are struggling. Don't get me wrong, I love the way he is playing, but he still doesn't solve the problem: lack of creativity.

Maybe the coaching staff doesn't allow the players to be creative, but who can you honestly point at and say "boy, that guy can pass and shoot". Richards is our "best" playmaker and in the 1 season + 7 games I really haven't seen him make a pass where I would say "how did he see that guy open?". Look at how Malkin set up Letang before his goal, but Letang just missed the net. You don't see that kind of passing from anyone on this team. Never mind the shot that Malkin has.

What we do is work the puck down low and then get it in front of the net. Maybe it will deflect to an open player, who can stuff it into an empty net. Or shoot from the point and hope the goalie doesn't see it. Meanwhile most teams know what to expect and sure we will still score goals that way, but the best teams have another element of surprise they can use when the first option to scoring a goal is shut down. I don't think this Rangers team can adjust on the fly like that. Maybe next season with a full camp and everything, but I think for this shortened season we are going to see exactly what we saw last season.
I agree with most of your assessment but I'm also left wondering HOW Richards doesn't display that kind of talent here. He's played 7 games between two of THE most offensively gifted players in the entire world. He can barely put up points with them. The 2 years in Dallas, IMMEDIATELY before signing here he put up 91 points in 80 games and 77 in 72. Are you telling me he's playing the exact same game here? Nothing changed? Because he went from 1.11 points per game to .81 points per game. I have to imagine he was making some pretty impressive plays to put up such good numbers in Dallas. Were his wingers that much better than Gaborik and Nash? Or does our system simply stifle creativity? I have a feeling our stamps out most of a players creativity and drills the cycle, cycle, cycle mentality in its place.

Nothing As It Seems is offline   Reply With Quote