mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
Pens get shut out tonight 4-0.

Mark it.
Worth quoting.

I just caught up with the late additions to Cole's +/- thread, and the comparison in there of DB to Tortorella had me scratching my head. Sure, Tortorella's teams have had enough success to make the playoffs, but he isn't a perennial cup winner. Having him behind the bench doesn't give his team a considerable advantage over other teams. Which leads me to this:

If you believe Tortorella would be an upgrade over DB but agree he's not a legendary coach, would it be worth suffering through his soul-crushing brand of hockey for 82 games (or, as it may be, 48) year after year to enjoy slightly improved odds in the postseason?

I don't know how to quantify the odds, but since one coach's style might have a huge positive against one playoff yet a significant detriment against another team, I'll estimate the overall impact at 3-5%.

I know everyone aspires to the cup, but I watch the sport and pay to attend it because I love the game itself. I don't love the game nearly as much when it's played like Tortorella has his team play.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote