Old
02-01-2013, 07:53 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzeigler View Post
Worth quoting.

I just caught up with the late additions to Cole's +/- thread, and the comparison in there of DB to Tortorella had me scratching my head. Sure, Tortorella's teams have had enough success to make the playoffs, but he isn't a perennial cup winner. Having him behind the bench doesn't give his team a considerable advantage over other teams. Which leads me to this:

If you believe Tortorella would be an upgrade over DB but agree he's not a legendary coach, would it be worth suffering through his soul-crushing brand of hockey for 82 games (or, as it may be, 48) year after year to enjoy slightly improved odds in the postseason?

I don't know how to quantify the odds, but since one coach's style might have a huge positive against one playoff yet a significant detriment against another team, I'll estimate the overall impact at 3-5%.

I know everyone aspires to the cup, but I watch the sport and pay to attend it because I love the game itself. I don't love the game nearly as much when it's played like Tortorella has his team play.
The thing abouts Torts being appealing for the Pens is that right now they're lacking discipline, motivation and basic fundamentals; they've become horribly lax in their play and attitude. A hardass like Torts is more likely to correct this thigns at this point than a be-you-buddy guy like Bylsma. Just look at Therrien: bad Xs and Os, but he taught the team all those things above that they are lacking now yet seem to have forgotten.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote