Thread: Proposal: Buffalo-Dallas
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 09:04 AM
BigG44

vCash: 500
The last thing I'd like to point out if you'll allow me is you mentioned it was silly to write off the season this soon. I agree, but that means it's also equally silly to change philosophy this early in the season. You seem to be missing some key information about the Dallas Stars.

Substituting a veteran for young players right now would be a 180. Dallas fans will laugh at that statement because of the coach (personally it just makes me sad), but that would go against what the GM has been building towards. Sheldon Souray wanted to re-sign in Dallas, and he would have been a Top 4 defender. Dallas would only offer 1 year so he walked. Dallas identified a major need at center, and the team received a fairly significant overhaul. Nothing like that happened on defense. They could have signed a veteran Top 4 D in free agency or traded for one, but all they did was sign a career 7th D to another overpriced contract and a promise to compete for ice time.

The reason this occurred is Dallas prospect depth on defense. The organization felt Brenden Dillon was ready full time, and he's proving them correct. The lockout allowed Jordie Benn and Jamie Oleksiak to also prove they were NHL ready. That resulted in Dallas clearing more room for prospects bytrading away Mark Fistric.

I'd love to have Leopold replace a couple of Dallas' current defense. You selling him as terrible doesn't help, but he fits Dallas' mold of preferred defender. He's not prototypical size, but he's not tiny. He's mobile, and he usually moves the puck fairly well. I think he could honestly be an improvement over some of Dallas' players, and a change of scenery could definitely help turn his season around.

However, Dallas committed to the young players ... at least the ownership and GM did. It's doubtful, and I'd honestly be extremely surprised, to see Dallas try and rescue the season with a veteran D. Like I said, that would be a 180 from what we've seen from Dallas since the season ended.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote