View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Did anyone hear Dreger last night on NHL Network ref ZB?

He said the Canes got rid of him for two reasons: He refused to go to the 'tough' areas of the ice and is a perimeter player only and Muller was frustrated by that.

And the Canes are not financially secure enough to have his contract sitting in Charlotte or the press box every night as they have another player doing the same, (can't remember his name).

I heard Dreger say that and I think the first part definitely has merit, but the 2nd part is pretty ridiculous. Boychuk is on a 2-way deal, so if he's in the AHL, he is only getting paid $105K (which they were fine paying him before the lockout). At the NHL level, it's only $625K.

The guy was sitting in the press box which does neither Carolina nor Boychuk any good and the financial impact was minor. If he ever has a chance to make it, he needs to continue to play, either in the AHL or another team. Even though I didn't want to lose him, waivers was created exactly for players like Boychuk so that he get's a chance on another team if there is no spot for him on his current team.