Thread: Post Game Talk: Isles over Devs 5-4 (OT)
View Single Post
Old
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
Cowbell232

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
Any player. who in a shortened season. that can only get on the ice for 4 minutes IS a liability. Except for a few select games why are we dressing a goon. Have I seen Butler and Darche play this year no but I have seen then play before and they are better players. IMO.
How do you determine the length of time a player becomes a liability?

I usually loathe advanced metrics to determine player values, but I find offensive v. defensive zone face off starts to be telling of a coaches faith in a player, and their TOI can be reflective of that. If we have a very high number of defensive zone draws, it will limit a defensive liability like Barch, for example.

Likewise, if we have a high amount of PP or PK time, you'll also see special teams on the ice for lengthy amounts of time. And a guy like Kovy can float on the PP for 2 minutes at a clip no problem, that will naturally reduce a non-special team player like, Barch...

I think as long as the top three lines are getting minutes with out an extreme deviation, the fourth line shouldn't be greatly used until we have a great fourth line like last year's run.